Wednesday 4 May 2011

Plenty of Firsts

The thing that I'm loving about this course is that because I've not really been that adept at using my machine there are so many new things for me to do, so many firsts.

I've never really done any real study of colour before. I was never any good at art at school, the art teacher told me so and was one of those that instead of trying to encourage those with lesser abilities just concentrated all her energies on the talented students and let the rest of us struggle on.
I've certainly never stitched with 2 threads through the needle before - and this is one of the things that I'm getting to do in making my second stitched colour wheel for this chapter. I'm not sure that the colour mixing segments are looking all that great, but it is an interesting exercise.
The set up in the first picture wasn't really working for me with this thread. It's so shiny and slippery that it just kept falling off the spool and getting tangled up tight round the spindle it was sat on. So I switched to just throwing it in a bowl by the side of my machine and this worked a lot better.
All in all I'm having fun again, the disappointment of the bluebells has been forgotten. The last few days I've been noticing the wild poppies springing up along the roadsides, maybe there will be a poppy piece in my future ;-) or maybe I should stay clear of the flora for a while ;-) For the time being I see plenty more colour play in my immediate future. My little aim is to finish chapter five before the week is out.

1 comment:

  1. Your art teacher was wrong, Angela!
    In fairness - because my art teacher said the same to me - I know I wouldn't have passed the 'O'Level art syllabus, which was geared around being able to actually draw. But what I've learned is that there are other ways of being artistic. I don't think it's the same with you though - you've produced lots of stuff that do show actual 'artistic' ability, like your cloth dolls for example.

    Sorry you weren't happy with the bluebell piece, but your photo was beautiful. It wasn't Badbury Clump, was it...?

    ReplyDelete