Wednesday 1 February 2012

Finding the way forward

So after coming up with my design the next thing to think about is the execution.

I like the white background of my sketch, am thinking white felt would be good as there will be lots of stitching in the individual sections and I know that felt tends to hold it's shape well ....... but will white really make the colours sing?

I like the depth of colour in the individual spaces in the sketch ........ but will I be able to achieve this with stitch alone.  Maybe some transfer painted fabric could give the extra depth of colour?

I've also enjoyed working on black felt throughout this module ...... but working on a black background might change how the design feels.

I think the only way to decide how the final piece will work out best is to try all of the above.

Yesterday saw me ......

 .... painting my design with transfer paints .........
 ........ tracing my design on to stitch and tear ..........
 ........... picking out threads ......................
 .................. and most importantly of all starting to stitch ..........................
And just had to show you this last shot.  I was too lazy to peel off the bits of stitch and tear that didn't want to come without a fight.  I love how it all cracked, like the surface of an old painting, when I stitched the long curvy grid.

I think it will be a while before all of my ideas for the appraoching the sample are worked up in stitch, but of course I'll keep you updated along the way.  Please let me know what you think as I go along and whether you have any favourites as they emerge.

No comments:

Post a Comment