Monday 24 October 2011

Colour Grading

Technically I have one more sample to stitch up to finish this weekends play with primary and secondary colours, but I confess after several hours at the machine I needed a change.  So I decided to skip the last sample for now and move on to some play with colour grading. 

Boy am I finding this a really tough exercise so far.  I thought I'd matched my threads pretty well against the colour grades I'd made with paper back in chapter one but as it's come to stitching some of the colours look wildly out of place.
And look at the difference between the two samples too.  The purple one was first and it was getting so chewed up under the machine with all the satin stitching I decided there was a definite need to get to some in hoop stitching for the rest of the colours.

It's going to be interesting to see how the other colours turn out.  I'm sure there will be more mistakes ahead but it's all a great learning exercise.  For as many years as I've been stitching I've never really paid much attention to colour theory I usually just pick things that I think look right together.  The exercises in this chapter are teaching me A LOT, and I'm having tonnes of fun in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment